"That they may all be one, as you Father, are in me and I am in you"
I have a 7 year-old daughter, Holly, who could easily be described as busy. She is always on the move doing something, making something or getting into something! Yesterday she was creating a list of things that she wanted to do after COVID. She then asked when COVID will end and when will she be able to go and see her friends and head outside again. Her questions sparked the interest of her brothers who also began asking questions and a large discussion about COVID began.
Talking to your children about difficult situations is hard, however, it is important that we are honest with them and give them enough information that satisfies their questions in an age appropriate way. We shouldn’t lie to our children or make promises that we cannot keep. We want our children to feel comfortable to ask us anything and know that they will get an answer. The reality is that they pick up snippets of information here and there, our job is help them decipher this information and ensure that where they are at with their thinking is accurate.
The situation we are all in currently is really tough. Again, I stress to parents that we are here to help at school so please feel welcome to contact us if we can provide support in anyway.
Tightened Criteria Next Week for Onsite Attendance due to Stage 4 Restrictions
As communicated to parents yesterday now that we are under Stage 4 Restrictions commencing next week there will be a very limited number of students that are eligible to be onsite. This is to ensure that staff numbers at school are at a minimum for their safety and wellbeing. The majority of staff will be working from home. The Intention Form with the criteria was sent out to families yesterday and those that meet the criteria need to return the form by 5.00pm today. Parents are required to provide their Permitted Worker Permit to support their application.
2021 Foundation (Prep) Enrolments
We are now taking 2021 Foundation enrolments. If you need enrolment forms, or know of someone else who does, can you please request them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately during this pandemic we cannot take tours or hold large gatherings, however, we are holding meetings over the phone with those that inquire.
Learning Pack Courier Distribution - 14th & 28th of August
Thanks to all families for your cooperation with the Learning Pack collection last week. Due to Stage 4 Restrictions we can no longer run a drive through collection of Learning Packs.
As mentioned in previous correspondence to parents earlier this week we have decided as a staff to continue to offer the Learning Packs to parents in both an electronic and hard copy format. Therefore, the Learning Packs will be distributed to parents’ homes via courier on Friday the 14th of August and again on Friday the 28th of August.
A big thanks to all of the staff for their efforts preparing the Learning Packs. It is very much appreciated.
Family Learning Conversations (FLC) / Parent Support Group (PSG) Meetings
Thanks to all families who have participated in the Family Learning Conversations (PTI) this week. Strong lines of communication between home and school are very important to us.
Our new website is up and running www.stppakenham.catholic.edu.au I encourage you to have a look. If you know of prospective families wanting to attend St Pat’s you can direct them to this website. We also have a new smart phone app. Skoolbag will be phased out and replaced with SZapp. Please see more information about this further in this newsletter.
Remote Learning Procedures
Below are the major points regarding what we are implementing;
- We are governed under the direction of the State Government. Stage 4 Restrictions mean that the majority of our children will learn remotely.
- Teachers will communicate with all families at least once per week. Parents are welcome to contact teachers electronically at any time during the hours of 8.30am-4.00pm. All staff emails are listed in the Remote Learning Handbook that has previously been emailed to parents. Classroom enquiries are to be emailed to the teachers.
- The Office will not be physically open, please call 5943-9000 or email enquiries to email@example.com and a member of the Office staff will get back to you.
- The students will be participating in video’s and Google Meets with the teachers. Your child’s classroom teacher will contact you weekly to inform when your meetings are scheduled.
- Learning Packs will be sent by courier to all families on Friday the 14th of August and again on Friday the 28th. A reminder that all work is also provided electronically.
- After receiving feedback from parents during the last remote period regarding submitted work tasks we are asking that families submit up to three tasks per week that the children are proud of. It is not an assessment task. This can be as simple as taking a photo of the work and emailing it in.
- All camps and excursions are cancelled for Term Three and we are still awaiting advice regarding the Sacramental Program.
For the very few children that will be attending school the following procedures are in place;
- If you are one of the few families that fit the criteria to allow your child to be onsite during this period you must complete the Intention Form sent out each week regarding your child’s attendance. The form was sent out yesterday and needs to be returned by 5.00pm today. A Permitted Worker Permit must be provided to support your application.
- All children attending the site will be temperature checked upon arrival and will need to be picked up if they are reading 37.5 and above.
- Children that are sick in any way must stay at home.
- Children need to wear full school uniform and bring snack and lunch as usual.
- Every child must have their own drink bottle, bubble taps are switched off.
- The learning pack sent home must come into the school as the work they will be completing at school is exactly the same as they would be doing remotely.
- Pick up and drop off is from the Church car park only and parents are not to leave their cars.
- Children can attend from 8.45am – 3.10pm.
- The school will be running a skeleton staff so your child will not be supervised by their normal classroom teacher.
- Staff will be wearing masks and PPE at certain times when it is appropriate.
- If families are being tested for COVID the children must remain home until a negative test result is received.
Out of School Ours Care
Information will be forwarded tomorrow to parents tomorrow regarding what capacity OSHC will be operating in, if any, for the remainder of the term. At the time of writing this newsletter it is still being finalised.
Please contact Fil at the Office if your family circumstances have changed for a confidential discussion regarding your fees.
Thursday 6th August
|School Attendance Intention form due - 3pm|
Friday 14th August
Remote Learning packs - Delivered to families homes via courier. No school pick up!
Friday 28th August
Remote Learning packs - Delivered to families homes via courier. No school pick up!
The Department of Education and Training (DET) have new resources to help parents and teachers to support the mental health and wellbeing of students.
New DET resources for parents and carers include:
Managing Screen Time, Health and Wellbeing
The DET and Melbourne Football Club have developed a new series of wellbeing videos.
Featuring both AFL and AFLW players, the videos provide students with tips on resilience, managing stress and anxiety, gratitude and staying active.
Please use the links below for other resources.
If any families are struggling at this time and would like to reach out for a chat or support please contact Meg Escalante, our Wellbeing officer, via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you are enjoying our new e-newsletter and website. With our new look also comes a new app. Over the next couple of months we will stop using our current Skoolbag app and start using our new Szapp. So no one misses out on any important information we will use both until 30th October. Please make sure you have installed the new app by then.
Follow the installation guide below to install the new app on your smart devices.
Please fill in the attached form if you require your child/ren to attend school next week. Please note this form must be sent in by 3pm today with your worker permit.